Search My Blog

Monday, May 16, 2011

My Questionable Green Thumb

I'm new to gardening...really, I'm new to dirt.  I'm 25 and have just started learning how to get dirt under my fingernails and not freak out.  BUT it's never too late for anything, right?!  Admittedly, I didn't start my garden the way I was supposed to, in little pods of dirt, sitting in a window...I actually filled up medium size pots with soil, poked my finger in the dirt, put in a few seeds every couple centimeters, and covered it up with dirt.  I actually drowned them with water instead of spritzing them with a spray bottle, causing all the seeds to float to the center of the pots.  But I was riddled with excitement and just wanted to seem like I knew what I was doing.  Looking back, there are so many things I should have researched, but as long as things grow and taste good, does it really matter??  It does, so there's always next time - I'm learning as I go!

I have to tell you that I'm thrilled about my herb garden and love watching it grow, however, I'm so impatient and get easily frustrated when things don't grow as fast as I'd like.  If that sounds like you, Basil is the herb for you!  It is the only herb that makes me literally clap every time I step outside to check on my little green yummies because it's the only one that looks the way it should.  The one I've experienced the most impatience with is Rosemary and what I mean is it's just not growing.  PERIOD!  According to http://growanherbgarden.com/herb-germination-times, germination of Rosemary takes 21 days and I planted my herbs 6 weeks ago.  So I'm not sure what to do, because I think it's a little late to start over.  This is probably where the window/spritz process would have worked for me, but like I said, I'm learning as I go.

Another yummy I'm having a problem with is the Chives, but I think that's because of bugs...the bugs LOVE Dill too.  We've all heard the saying, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" and I'm not sure how true that is, but fortunately this saying is a proven one - "Dr. Bronner's and water to spray on every day keeps the spider mites away."  Or so my friend and fellow gardener says, I look forward to trying it because I really want my Dill!


Here it is!!! -Basil, Dill, Oregano, Rosemary, Parsely, Thyme, Chives, Tarragon, and the one without a pin is a mixture because I had a moment and forgot I had already planted something in it...


My pretty Basil :)


My non-existent Chives???


The bug-chewed Dill :(





3 comments:

  1. Keep at it! This is a great start! It's so much more fun to eat stuff out of your own yard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And I just told my mom that we should use some Basil tonight! :) I'm already extra excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't give up! You're doing great. And there's nothing that can compare to actually knowing where you food comes from!!

    ReplyDelete